If you have a daughter who loves her American Girl Doll or any 18″ doll, you’ll appreciate this simple and fun project.
We started with this doll bed from Ikea:
Before we had American Girl Dolls my girls were content with this doll bed as it came from Ikea – the bedding is a slightly padded blue fabric “mattress” with a checkered multi-colored blanket. But suddenly when their dolls had names and fancy outfits, it was necessary to upgrade this bed with a “real mattress” and to make sheets that matched the personalities of their dolls.
- So we started by making a mattress using 1″ foam that was cut to size to fit this Ikea doll bed which I covered in plain white fabric.
- Then we selected fun patterned fat quarters with which to make the sheets for their dolls.
- We squared off the fat quarters using a rotary cutter and mat
- We made two flat sheets by folding over the edges about a 1/4″ – 1/2″ and ironing it flat for a nice clean edge.
- Then you can secure the edges by using fusing tape (if you don’t have a sewing machine) or by sewing with a straight stitch with a contrasting or variegated around the edges to make your sheets.
- Next was the doll pillow and a pillow case to match the sheets.
- Finally we made fleece blankets using remnants from our local fabric store.
However, my girls do have plans to knit blankets and to try to make their first quilt for their beloved dolls. I’ll link to these future blog articles when we do them; I’m thinking these will be great winter craft projects.